View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
roverdriver
EcoModding Lurker

The T transmission is a two speed one. It is epicyclic, just like many later automatics. A Chev of the period was a three-speed sliding gearbox. Possible gear combinations would be- low plus 1, 2, 3, high plus 1, 2, 3, then reverse/reverse giving a very slow forward, so seven forward gears. To travel backwards, the choices would be T.reverse plus 1, 2, 3 or Chev reverse plus T low or high giving 5 backward direction gears.

As far as mounting the Chev gearbox backwards, I am not sure how practical that would be, but high and top (3rd.) would still only be 1:1 plus 1:1. High and 2nd would certainly act as an overdrive, but I wonder if the gearbox would handle the thrusts created. High and 1st would give an even greater overdrive. It would still give 7 forwards and 5 reverses.

To move off, one would have to select low/3, the next gear would be high/3, and so far all would be the same as a standard T. Next change would have to be high/2, and then high/1 if both engine and gearbox can manage that.

The intermediate low/2 and low/1 would not be practical to use in a progression of gear changes because of the way the epicyclic transmission functions.

Upward gear changes should work all right, but downward ones (no matter if the Chev box is right or wrong way round) are extremely difficult. In my experience, because the T clutch does not positively disengage, especially when the engine oil is cool and therefore thicker, a double declutch action is almost impossible, and of course the Chev box has no synchromesh so double declutching is almost essential to down change with it.

The T engine does have amazing torque so it is feasable that it just might handle the backward mounted Chev gearbox. As I have said, I have seen (and driven) T's with a Chev box fitted, but never with the Chev box back to front.

Roverdriver in Australia.
The Following User Says Thank You to roverdriver For This Useful Post:
Christ (12-06-2009)