View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
roverdriver
EcoModding Lurker

If you look at the frontal area of the streamlined version, and compare it with the standard T, I am sure that you would find that there is little, if any, difference. The streamlined car does not have any surfaces at right angles to the direction of travel, but the very front (radiator area) is much higher than a standard car. I agree that the rear would have less drag.

That kind of increase in speed could not be created purely from improved aerodynamics- don't forget that streamlining only helps after about 60 mph anyway.

A back-to-front Chev gearbox might account for some of the speed as it could act as an overdrive, but you must consider that a T engine is rated at 22hp, has a low compression and cast iron pistons. Converting to OHV and fitting aluminium pistons while also increasing the compression will easily achieve 70 mph even without a streamlined body and with standard transmission and final drive.

I have driven a Model T with the engine converted as above, and with a standard chassis and body. When I got to about 70mph. (the speedo only went to 60) I decided that I would prefer to keep on living, so decelerated rapidly down to a sedate 45 mph at which the car was quite manageable.

Roverdriver in Oz