View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #41 (permalink)
basslover911
Master EcoModder

Silver Turtle - '02 Ford Focus Zx3
90 day: 38.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys View Post
I was thinking LEAVE the oem pump in place and I figured a replacement pump would have an IN and an OUT which I could simple insert into a cut in half radiator hose. Done. No mounting hassles no running lines no removing the oem pump (that is an issue will water flow ok if the oem pump is left in place and not spinning? I have no idea on that one.

Remember I want to go alternator free as well so power consumption is pretty critical. a 1000watt motor "seems" to my gut check to be seriously over kill.
Well except if you leave the oem pump there then you also have to circulate water through it which gives resistance meaning even LESS efficiency ... just one thing to think about (well... unless you take out the propeller in the water pump but then again that would mean dismantling it and doing even more work).

I want to do this also and to go alternatorless... what do you think a good electric motor would run this pump then if not 1000 watts... 250 watts? (im using these figures because these motors are really cheap because many people use them for electric bicycles