View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
the main issue with buying a second car is the DISPOSITION of the money needed.

sure a TDI would save me its own cost in fuel over say my cherokee in 1.5 years. (assuming $5000 for the TDI)

Here is the problem. the $5000 for the jeep would NOT BE $5000 at all EVER.

it would be $64 a WEEK. starting to see the difference now?

while the NEW CAR would be $5000 RIGHT NOW. $140 RIGHT NOW (registration title etc..) $300 RIGHT NOW for insurance (and this is for me with very low insurance) and another $85 RIGHT NOW for inspection PLUS if it needs anything to pass inspection.

See what I mean? $5000 is NOT $5000 in this equation. ONE is $5000 right NOW the other is $64 a week for 18 months.

this is the CORE problem people with SUV's and Trucks who do not want them are STUCK WITH THEM. no matter how you play with the numbers the SUV is always CHEAPER because you don't have to pay 100% right now.

Unless you get lucky. I got super lucky. Found a metro for $600 and even that was beyond my means THANK GOD he was willing to take payments! 6 weeks later I had it. put $400 into it over a month (thankfully the cops left me alone past the 10 day mark) and now I am golden. by JANUARY 22 or so the car will have FULLY paid for itself including tax title registration and repairs.

Still would not have matter for spit if he did not take payments as I simply did not have $600 to buy it. ($753 actually with tax and tags etc..)

I have been trying for 3 years now at least to get my hands on a metro.

$700 cars are not $700 cars 99% of the time. you also need the cash to fix them as almost always they need something. If you can do the work yourself MAJOR BONUS.

GREAT JOB so far man on the improvements!! really impressive. Amazing what driving style does ehh?

CoastRider WOW man F150 at 31mpg is astounding!

sadly I can not coast my Cherokee. its an auto and it takes FAR FAR too long to reboot a cherokee. my metro starts in under one second. I stopped EOC'ing until I get a kill switch though. Don't want to rape my ignition or ECU.

whats an acquatune?