View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #59 (permalink)
Tickersoid
Tickersoid

I appreciate the concerns about the venturi effects between the wheels and body but feel that the reduced frontal area is worth it.
You are right about the reduced capacity to brake and steer at the same time with the delta option. Also the weight being thrown forward onto a single wheel for braking is clearly less effective.
I also have a friend who is the designer and builder of the most prolific trike in competition hill climbing who advocates two wheels at the front and a driven wheel at the back. Also in it's favour is the aerodynamic efficiency and stability if a pointy bit rearwards body.
So the two at the front trike has a lot going for it.
When making your choice, I would also like you to consider the centre of resistance both aerodynamically and rolling resistance wise. When going through terrain or varying resistance such as standing water, the delta trike tends to be self centering like an arrow. This is because the centre of resistance is behind the centre of gravity. I remember a time, during a heavy downpour on the M4, when the driver of a mighty BMW M3 was astounded to find he couldn't keep up with me for fear of loosing control when I was driving a Reliant Rialto. Which ever you decide, it should be based on your values. There is no right or wrong answer.