View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #86 (permalink)
JackMcCornack
EcoModding Apprentice

from Christ:

>Normally, I'd want to be pissing from upwind, so that the result was a urine stream which went downwind.

Today it would be an icicle stream, but other than that, good assuming there! Downwind = from upwind. South = from the north, etc. I expect the attorneys will want that clarified in the published instructions, this being America and all.

> I can say, with great confidence, that if it were me, I'd make the 1/4 or 1/3 scale
> model and tweak it for the best design, then scale it up, hoping for the best.

Good enough. Then, with great confidence, that's what I'll do. 1/3 scale takes almost twice as long to carve as 1/4 scale (and uses more than twice the materials, but big deal--a 2' x 5' x 1' block of styrofoam, in 2x4x8 billets the stuff costs me about $1.50 per cubic foot) I'll maybe try a couple of quarter scale and move up from there.

from Jamesqf:

> A little aside: if you have this (I'm so jealous!), why can't you easily do almost any
> body shape as fiberglass over foam?

:-) I can! That's why I made it. But don't be too jealous, the time and money invested in it is more of each than I have in the car.

>I don't know the cost of materials, but if it works for experimental aircraft, why not
> cars?

No reason, I hope. If it turns out there's a reason, you'll soon see the Foam Ranger under "Tools, Misc." in Trade a Plane.

And now the biggie:

from botsapper:

> I took your preliminary chassis dims. & 'Tank' themed models and quickly sketched
> some views.

Holy smokes, botsapper, you quickly sketched those? Even if you've been mooching Ritalin off the school nurse and worked on it all night, that's incredible!

And darned right it'll continue into reality, and hopefully with your assistance. A PM is coming your way--want to trade art for foam shaped to your specs? Want to work on commission? Want my first born child? Heck, if you'll collaborate with me I'll give up the crude-yet-primitive concept and we can do something classy.

PS--Not quite as classy as that canopy, though, because A) It ain't legal anywhere in the States (windshields must be laminated glass) and B) The first one would cost about 15 grand.