View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #90 (permalink)
JackMcCornack
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Jack - Somewhere in the world, there is a company that will make safety glass to your specifications.
There's one in Ankara, but they want a polished steel male pattern included with the order...or send them the cardboard and they'll make the pattern for you. It is a whole heck of a lot of money and I think that the 15 grand for that canopy in plexi would turn into triple that in glass. And it would weigh, oh, 150 pounds I'd guess.

If anybody knows of a local (like this side of the Atlantic) equally inexpensive source, I might be tempted to do a curved windshield and conventional roof. botsapper has me thinking that a beautiful body could be attainable*, just not quite that beautiful. It all costs the same on the screen, but as a wise man once said, necessity is a mother.

This just in...sandmandw, Christ, only the windshield has to be (DOT approved laminate) safety glass, the other windows can be tempered and may be plastic in many cases. So botsapper's shape could be done, just not one piece...and I've never cared for the George Jetson lift-canopy-for-egress look anyway, except in concept cars.

*Which reminds me; I was a member of a weight loss group many years ago. I was the only guy in the group (weight loss hadn't entered our culture yet as a guy thing) and I got teased some. Anyway, one week for motivation we were supposed to look through magazines, cut out a photo of the body we wanted, and stick it on our refrigerators. I chose Cheryl Tiegs, which got me a mixed bag of grins and puzzled looks.

Last edited by JackMcCornack; 12-09-2009 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: responding to posts that passed mine like sheep in the night