View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
shovel
Master EcoModder

Interesting that the two derogatory posts (desertbob and mkrusz) are from their respective posters' very first & only post.

I have also used E85 quite a lot in my 2001 S10 v6 and my 1992 Ford Tempo and in two 1991 Isuzu Troopers.

All 4 cars behave(d) exactly the same on E85. Fewer miles per gallon of fuel, drastically more horsepower, and a smoother idle. And on the s10 my check engine light would come on (bank 1 lean code) because of the different stoichometry of the fuel - it no longer does this because I have had the PCM reprogrammed to allow faster sampling and a wider PWM band for the injectors, and have increased line pressure (with a tiny washer behind the FPR spring). On gasoline fuel trim stays about -6 to -9 and on E85 trim stays around +9 to +18.

You can call me fully sold on ethanol. If I could buy E85 more than 2 places in town it's the only fuel I would run. Yes I get fewer miles per gallon, but the net cost per mile is about the same and with a smoother idle and more pep I enjoy the drive more. Not to mention it does support domestic farmers, domestic waste processors (in Phoenix we have a plant that diverts trash from the dump and turns some of it into ethanol) and produces fewer pollutants if my emissions test in the S10 is any indicator.