View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #62 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddles
Am trying to figure out what screen/camera to get for my car to replace the side mirrors. I'm going for a single camera in the aerial on the roof and small mirrors inside the car for the sides immediately next to the car. I'm considering putting the screen in the sun visor so it's easy to flip up when I leave the car to prevent people breaking in and taking it.

What resolution is your screens and are they good enough?
If you can shade them a little and position them to avoid a reflection at night, and cool them in hot summer sunshine, then they are good enough.

Quote:
As I'm in the UK, gooddeals18.com charges $43 shipping abroad, and I can get stung on customs charges so I'm looking a bit further inland.

I've found this screen here. ($60) Despite what the description says, I think the resolution is more likely to be 800x240.
I still use my optical rear view mirror a LOT, so I would not want to replace it with a screen. If you can fit that screen NEXT to the optical mirror, then it may work well. I had to avoid both the front and side airbags in my car. In the xA the area where most cars have the instrument cluster is a great location -- I just glance down and I see both sides of the car at once. I put a very small mirror on the driver's side for when I look there out of habit, or if the video mirror is not working because the car is off.

Quote:
As for the camera, I've got my eyes on this one. ($40) Would this be good enough for my needs?

Or should I spend a little more and get a CCD camera? ($90)

Your thoughts?

Thanks very much for your advice in advance, much appreciated!
I think that quality is a good thing. It would be great if the more expensive camera had better light adjustments and if it handled bright sunshine (or direct light at sunset) better.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/