View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #63 (permalink)
Eddles
EcoModding Apprentice

Eddles's Astra - '01 Vauxhall Astra ECO4
90 day: 61.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
If you can shade them a little and position them to avoid a reflection at night, and cool them in hot summer sunshine, then they are good enough.
Hot? In the UK? My car has A/C but it's broken, and it was already broken when I brought it and I've never needed it once! So should be OK though. (Famous last words...)

Quote:
I still use my optical rear view mirror a LOT, so I would not want to replace it with a screen. If you can fit that screen NEXT to the optical mirror, then it may work well.
Agreed. Hence my plan to put it in the sun visor, it'll be next to the rear view mirror. I do want to keep the rear view mirror. I've just had a good look at 7" LCD screens on eBay, they all are 480x234 or whatever, even the ones costing $150 so the 10" should do just fine.

Quote:
I had to avoid both the front and side airbags in my car.
Luckily for me (or not!) my car is very basic, so only have the 2 standard front airbags. No side or curtain airbags here.

Quote:
In the xA the area where most cars have the instrument cluster is a great location
I agree. I've seen the pictures, and you're lucky to have that space. The Astra's dashboard is really cluttered, even before I put in all my gadgets (GPS, etc). The only bare space is right in front of the passenger seat and the airbag flap is under that.

Quote:
I think that quality is a good thing. It would be great if the more expensive camera had better light adjustments and if it handled bright sunshine (or direct light at sunset) better.
Agreed. Wish I could find out more information about that camera... I might go for the 10.2" "rear view mirror" LCD (and not put it in the rear view mirror) and the CCD camera. I'll sleep on it though!

Anyway. Thanks for advice everyone, much appreciated!

My aim: to achieve 3L/100km.
Best tank @ 65mph: 864.2 miles 69.36MPGus 3.4l/100km