View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #53 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
Update:

Kamm is working very well at turning heads. Helping with mileage too but that is subjective because I have not been able to do tests. Terminal velocity on my coastdown was noticeably higher with the coroplast addition. High speed glide seems much better.

I wish I could quantify the change more scientifically but I never have the time for testing and I don't live near a flat stretch of road.

My improved overall mileage and some numbers do point to an improvement:

I did get a record highway run of 36 mpg, previous record: 33.3 All other recent runs have been higher as well.
Vacuum gauge shows 17inches at 80kph used to show 16.5

Since my overall mileage has been trending up, I will say that it works and I'm keeping it on but would like to rework it and finish the bottom sides. That will have to wait till spring.

V2 will be even better. More stainless, more lexan, less drag.

In the meantime, check out my Prius rescue thread, link below: Transaxle guts and takedown gore to ensue shortly...
If you get around to testing and do A-B-A runs,with and without the tail,consider adding ballast to the van equal to the weight of the tail when you run without it.
The tail's added mass will add inertia and increase momentum,adding coasting difference ( more ) even without drag reduction.
By ballasting,you simplify your testing and data reduction to a single variable.
I know it sounds anal,but multiple variables will drive you insane when you attempt to make sense of your results.