View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rainh2o
Ecomodder in Training

Green Machine - '96 Ford Contour GL
90 day: 34.9 mpg (US)
water in the spark plug well

After work this afternoon my Ford was running REAL rough. The check engine light came on and started flashing like crazy. I just happen to have my code reader in the glove box and stopped and read the code, Cyld #1 misfire. Ok, I thought, used car, dont know the shape of the plugs so I pulled the #1 cyld boot off the plug to check it and there was about 2 inches of water inside the well!!...Pulled the other 3 and they all had about the same amount of water in them. All together about 1 cup of water I wicked out with some paper towels because I was not at home where the compressor is. It was water and not coolant. Feared it was coolant at first but it was clear and had no sweet taste when I put it to my tongue, just water and maybe a slight bit of rust.

Anyhow any fix for this? The plu wire is nice and soft and seems to seal well but guess it is not.

Some searching on the net found lots of people with the problem but no solution. Anyone else seen this? I'll try to attach a pic of the plug well after I finished cleaning it at home but by then it had gotten hot enough to dry out. Took the pic with my cell phone and a flashlight because I ran out of daylight so excuse the quality. More of a pic to show how deep the well is.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spark.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	5001