View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 02:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoxantia View Post
PS: I take it you've seen the description of this simple engine at http://www.christiantena.pwp.blueyon...operation.html
I believe that I've found something very similar, just translated into Polish. The figures and tables look the same. Lots of info. Add to that electrical diagrams and I'd be set, except that my engine is too new: All the materials I've found are for the older 2.0 and 2.2 liter HDi diesels, nothing so far for the 1.6. Of course, most of the info is the same, it's just that some of the sensors aren't in the same places, etc.

I looked into my car's manual and found the circuit breaker that is responsible for the fuel pump. So to test fuel cutoff, I pulled the breaker and tried to start the engine. It shouldn't have, but it started. This means that either my engine not only doesn't need the cam and crankshaft sensors for operation, but it doesn't even need fuel!! (How's that for hypermiling?) The second hypothesis is that the breaker is not for the fuel pump, or anything vital. In fact, I'm starting to believe that the box of circuit breakers is just a dummy, since a month ago I found out that pulling the ignition switch breaker doesn't disable it at all. I can the turn the key and all is as before. Kind of makes me wonder...

I'd look for the cable going to the fuel pump in the tank, but everything in my car is so well hidden, and so hard to get to even if I happen to find it, plus it's getting cold outside. Brrr. Too bad this didn't spring up in the summer, since in September I removed all the seats and carpets for a week as the car was drying. Fooling around with the cables would have been so much easier then.

I'm don't want to do an ignition switch cutoff, since then the computer, radio, etc. all turn off and take 5-10 seconds to restart. I want to keep the CPU on when the engine dies. I'll look for the fuel pressure sensor when it gets warmer. I might have to wait until April

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread