View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #67 (permalink)
taredog
EcoModding Lurker

pickup - '01 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 Sport
90 day: 16.35 mpg (US)

Focus - '16 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 31.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I'm impressed and aroused all at once... weren't you?!?
Not too much. The sound of the Ram exhaust was much too mellow for me. I liked the sound of the '57 BelAire four door coupe that passed me earlier. Obviously an automatic, pretty stock with a staccato sound I remember from my youth. Like a cheap Thrush. The driver just cruising along, taking his time. My thoughts were, "it needs a Muncie M21 or a Borg-Warner T10. Then "maybe he want's to keep it fairly stock" Then "wonder if it's a powerglide or a turbohydro implant and a 265 or a 283 stock or an implanted 327/350/400.

That's the way my old gearhead mind works. Why I am no longer a gearhead???

Some of this likely belongs in the lounge.

I have come to the conclusion that no matter what I do short of very radical modifications, my Dakota will continue to get 16-18 MPG on my commute and in the 20's on highway trips.

Based on what you drive, some of you posts about "35 MPG pickups" and my perception of your overall cheapness, (not a bad thing, I too am "cheap" but cannot win all my battles at home) what do you think is the best course?

My Dakota is paid for. I drive less that 10K per year. Buying a less thirsty beater for commuting is not an option. Once in a blue moon I use the pickup or 4wd function of the truck. I think I should keep it and suck up the bad FE. What do you think?