View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rainh2o
Ecomodder in Training

Green Machine - '96 Ford Contour GL
90 day: 34.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
You commuted in the Suburban, and yet you think they aren't a bad idea? I agree with using them for what they are supposed to be used for, but I have no idea what you would even mention that you commuted in one.

No I dont think they are a bad idea, just that they do use a lot of gas, and thats the bad part, but yes I like big vehicles. I have had about everything from a metro up to the Suburban over the years. Many of them obnoxious, lifted, oversize tire, 8 mpg gas guzzling SUV's (jeeps, k-5 blazers, dodge 4x4's, Toyota cruisers, chevy trucks, etc) are the ones I had the most fun driving. I love to just go out and bounce around out in the field just to see if I can make it up that hill or through that mud bog for no reason. I also just like driving them around. I have driven the small 4 cyld and 6 cyld out in the mud as well and never really had as much fun, maybe its in my head but having that big HP engine spinning some big tires in the mud with loud pipes, Its fun to me. Is it right, probably not.

Believe it or not, one thing I do/did enjoy doing is pulling people out of the ditch when they needed it. I am the one that usually stops no matter the weather and offers help if people are stuck in the ditch in the snow storms in the area. Cant do that with the contour, the best I can offer is a warm place to sit and a cell phone at this time.

If I could afford to drive the Suburban again every day I would, but my wallet has been saying I cant do that right now. Do I enjoy the 10 gal fill ups for less then 25.00? Yes. It does beat the 125-150 fill ups, but like I said , if I could afford it I probably would still be doing it.

Last edited by Rainh2o; 12-13-2009 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: spelling...oops