View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 03:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
shovel
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
even if you limit population...
You know, if people watched more Back to the Future they'd realize that we live in four dimensions, not just three.

Nobody has to LIMIT anything. Just wait. Here let me simplify it: Let's say the average person "Bob" has a kid when they're 20 years old right? After 100 years you have Bob Sr., Bob Jr., Bob III, Bob IV, and Bob V. Five Bobs alive at the same time.

Now let's pretend Bob Sr. and all his kids wait five years longer, until they are 25 years old. After 100 years you have Bob Sr., Bob Jr., Bob III, and Bob IV. That's four Bobs instead of five - a 20% reduction - and nobody had to produce fewer kids, just produce them more slowly. And chances are, Bob's a better dad at 25 than he would have been at age 20 when he barely got done being a kid himself so now Bob Jr. has a better opportunity to grow up a respectable man, and so forth.

All it takes is for people to wait. Nobody needs to be oppressed, we don't need any thinly veiled eugenics nightmare. Just patience like we all exercise when we're coasting to a stop to save fuel.

Not that it matters much to me, none of my DNA's going to have to worry about it.