View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
probsolver
EcoModding Lurker

how much does pilot burn? (answered)

Well, sort of. If you are on a public nat. gas line then you simply measure your consumption during a month when your furnace is not running. If you have multiple appliances, you can get a general idea by dividing usage by the number of pilots burning. Before going offgrid on gas, I found that I was billed $4 per month for my pilot. Problem is, I can't swear for sure if I had turned my furnace pilot off at that time.
You also have to consider that some pilots are single flame and some of the newer that still use pilots have two.
Sure the newest high efficiency heaters don't have them, but lets help the millions of people who don't have one and can't adfford to get one yet!

One last thing: Your pilot may use $4 / month, and your heater may use $15 / month if allowed to kick on . . . but your provider may be charging you $10 to $20 per month just to be connected to the system. I saved $240 a year simply by breaking away from my natural gas supplier. This was the service charge I got even if I didn't use any gas. That gives me some money to invest in alternative methods of heating space and water above and beyond the actual cost and impact of burning the fuel.