Thread: My vx
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dave's Civic Duty
Master EcoModder

Mater - '98 Dodge 3500 Dually

Wilber - '99 Toyota Corolla LX

Minyatta - '93 Mazda Miata MX-5
Hi TomO, MetroMPG, mcrews,

Thanks for rolling out the Red Carpet for me, much appreciated.

I did a search on Civic VX hesitation & uncovered a world I never new, much to my delight. I had no idea Honda made a car this thrifty. I always admired the shape of the Civic hatchback. When I saw ecomodder, I had to check it out.

This Civic must have never run right. My friend that gave it to me told me that it had a special ordered 1.6. & I saw vtec on the valve cover but didn't notice the e. But did notice a single cam. He said he got about 30MPG. His brother drove down to NC to get it when it was a year old. 14,000 then. The brother drove it for 3 years, sold it to his mom, she drove for 2, & then maybe even gave it to my friend. So other then the one year in NC, it saw every Cleveland winter.

The car did have regular maintanence on it. I see a new exhaust & both front half-shafts. Shocks/struts are still cool, tires Firestone front, Goodyear rear are OK. The shifter is like in neutral in every gear, luckily I've had many years of Honda shift like butta 5speeds, so I know where the gears are by second nature. The seats have great support with normal wear. I do have a water leak somewhere left front carpet was wet when I vacuumed it out a few weeks ago. I had to reattach all the bumper side ends, no metal to hang it on in the rear :-) & off in the front. So it does run quiet, doesn't smoke & no unusual noises. It's a Honda after all!

I took my wife for a ride in it the other night & she likes it even with all it's faults & gave me her blessing on fixing it up next year. With the foam hanging out the holes in the rear quarters she teases that it looks like a rabid dog! :-)

I'm messing with trying to get the bottom alternator bolt out, it's like it's welded in. Working on that & what to get rid of the hesitation, not being able to maintain constant speed. I probably have people following me asking themselves, what it this guy doing?

Thanks for welcoming me into your community,
Dave