View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #25 (permalink)
Dieselman
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
But that is where I make the most power for a given amount of fuel on my tdi. Start gliding prior to the peak so that you glide crawl over the top and reduce need for braking as appropriate.
from ecomodders very own wiki (which anyone can edit/contribute to) Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) Maps - EcoModder
I can believe that chart to be accurate for the VW 130Bhp engine. We too have a Skoda Vrs and I can feel the engine become more torquey and efficient in the range of 1,500-2,500 rpm. This is borne out by the instantanoius mpg reading climbing rapidly once 1,500 rpm is breached.

A standard rule of thumb used to be drive within the range of peak torque +1000rpm -500rpm for best efficiency. Under light load lower revs can be used without the engine bogging down. I'd be wary of running high loads at low revs in a diesel as that can create very high forces on the big ends and crank.

For hills I use the 'arrive a bit quicker and let speed bleed off slowly' technique.
In the Vrs one needs to be careful to not be in too high a gear under load, it seems to increase consumption.