View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #194 (permalink)
thatguitarguy
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
That's all good to know because my concerns with more streamlining have to do with how the bike behaves in the windy conditions you are talking about. I like the way the front of my BMW was designed, but I would like to change the stern with a streamlined rear fairing with storage for touring.

As to cold weather riding, I've done a lot of that here in the mountains. I don't ride in the winter because the appearance of ice on the road can happen at any time, but the temps that many of you see in the winter, I see pre-dawn and post-dusk here most of the summer.

My bike is larger, and has a bigger alternator being a retired patrol bike, and needing that capacity for running lights and radios, but the heated grips have saved me a lot of discomfort in cold riding conditions. I used to think that such a thing was frivolous, but now that I have it I wouldn't want to be without it. I ski a lot, and have many ski gloves, but gloves that would be warm enough without the heated grips, are uncomfortably bulky between my palms and the grips. I like to feel the bike through my hands.
The Following User Says Thank You to thatguitarguy For This Useful Post:
TEiN (12-25-2009)