View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #38 (permalink)
shovel
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Sorry, that was a drive by.

OK... per 100 people units, how many are going to be scientists that do something that has a profound good effect on humanity?

I'm not gonna look it up but I'd say it's closer to 1:100 than 99:100.

In the meantime, per productive scientist, their "caseload" of human units increased exponentially.

Or.... right now, today, there are more scientists than ever in history.

Are we better off today or not?

hmmmm
So if we are to, in the interest of maintaining constructive dialog, postulate that any number of humans on earth will create the same pollution (because billions will presumably live in cubicles and ride mass transit while sparse populations will cruise around in aircraft carriers on wheels) .. then we are left to wonder what other good comes from either position.

Scientists vs. "idiots" is probably too simple. Persons actively pursuing a reduction in mankind's environmental impact vs. persons just occupying space and doing all the people things that result in pollution and ruined ecosystems?

I would argue that as our environment becomes more damaged, our arable land and food production becomes more difficult and it becomes more lucrative and in the public interest to fund projects that pursue a reduction in our environmental impact - creating jobs in that sector and luring otherwise uninvolved people toward that. So in that sense our impact on earth can become self-limiting. Assuming the damage for which we're all responsible doesn't overwhelm our best efforts at quenching it.

I do know this: when a human is born in the US it's going to use over a thousand diapers that have to be manufactured and placed in a landfill. It's going to by cultural necessity get thousands of pounds of plastic stuff, toys, dishes, clothes, shoes, etc that have to be manufactured and will end up in a landfill. It's going to need food and room to live, which by necessity displace the "wild" nature. At some point it's going to own a car that has to be manufactured, that burns fuel, and will be disposed of at some point. And another car after that. And another car after that. And at some point it will probably make 1 or more additional humans, who will also place those same demands on the world.

Meanwhile by voluntarily taking advantage of the staggering number of birth control options we have available to us.... we can avoid all of that. Without oppressing or harming anyone.

Frankly I'm depressed that there exist people who fail to see this direct and linear progression. As Carlos' link illustrates, education reduces rates of pregnancy - go figure. Smart people see the value in restraint and the options available for controlling your destiny. In other words, if you want to help the environment you can do just that through ordinary, full spectrum education.

Idiocracy wasn't a comedy, it was a horror film.