View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcomilerChristopher
13.59 L/100km

TheGasHonda - '98 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 35.04 mpg (US)
Winter

Thanks, I am noticing the winter mileage plummet now. I've installed winter tires but still getting around 34 mpg. I think it's somewhere in October where gas companies start adding fuel additives for the winter and then stop somewhere in May, like as you said my mileage would get better. Coincides quite nicely with the removal of the fuel additives so it must be true.

I'm driving with general fuel consumption savings in mind. Trying to stay around 100-105 kph on the highway and I drive that almost 90% of the time during my commute. Never too hard on the accelerator, steady speeds and most of the time conservative braking.

I've fixed my lockup problem. It was the shift solenoid sensor. But my engine light is still on with error code indicating a fuel leak in the gas tank area. I replaced the gas cap but that did not solve the problem so I suspect the charcoal fuel canister (not the fuel filter, I already replaced that). But I don't know wether it's worthwhile to actually fix that... I mean how much am I going to save? Would I recoup the cost in a few months? probably not, so I think I will just leave it.

I think I"m just going overboard with the tuneups but hopefully I'll really notice it in the summer months. The car isn't completely tuned, it's got a knocking noise or maybe ticking is the best way to describe it(probably the valves or even a slightly out of adjustment cap) when it's cold. Goes away when it's warmed up and the car is quite peppy.