View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #27 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
One other issue doing this in the UK is traffic volume, quite often people just don't like following someone driving with load or doing the rollercoaster. In my view they should just leave a long gap (I do this to break up jams often) but I'm usually in a minority.

I shall experiment further, there are plenty of hills to try.
The roller coaster is most efficient for the professional driver who makes a living hauling loads. Reducing fuel cost means money in their pocket.

On I95 between Richmond and Washington DC, the truckers will do the "roller coaster" with speeds ranging from 53 to 75 MPH in a 65 zone. Leaving stopping distance (3 stripes x 43 feet) between us is my favorite position on that road in heavy traffic. The road is 3 lanes each way, and if you get in the inner two lanes the aggressive drivers treat it like a NASCAR race, with separation distances measured in feet and passing proximity measured with a yardstick.

Instead of trying to impose my desire for better driving habits on others, I just pace myself behind the trucks, which generally stay in the right lane.
This also gives me an escape route to the right, where the shoulder is paved and as wide as either of the three lanes available for traffic.

The hills around Fredericksburg are of sufficient grade to allow coasting (in neutral-engine on) at speeds of 70+, and in some cases you even need to use DFCO to keep your speed down. While you may see only 25 MPG on the uphill section, on the same hill's downhill section the mileage can exceed 300 MPG.

Doing this achieved the highest single trip mileage I ever recorded in my VX, over 68 MPG, at an average speed on 64 MPH. May of 2008 when fuel cost here were approaching $4 per gallon. Two passengers and cargo with a total weight of about 500 pounds.

I prefer alternative routes to the above mentioned scenario, but at night, the greatest danger here is Deer running out in front of your car. A friend once hit a Deer and it came through the windshield of his van. They had to open the door to let the Deer out.

regards
Mech