View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #41 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Hi Brian,

I can not endorse the full coverage you are proposing for several reasons:

This has already been done before, with dire consequences during the Craig Vetter High Mileage contest in 1980 or so.

Take a look at one of the most respected entries in the contest, by Honda... It was a beautiful design, both conceptually and through eloquent construction...

....CRASH!....

Now take a look at the damage that ensued, after stunt rider Debby Evans had control of the bike taken away by strong side winds... A very skilled rider could not cope with the sudden side forces.

Please note that the Honda entry has less side area than your taller design. Can you imagine riding on very windy day, with sustained gusts at 40 mph, and raining? I have had this happen to on occasion after putting 105,000 miles on my bike. Those conditions literally take your breath away as one fights for every inch of traction the tires will give!!

You've seen my small *full coverage* fairing, and it was a handful on those gusty days. Imagine how much more so with four times the side surface area of the proposed design!!

A much more safe design compromise would be to copy the Rifle fairing with your creative flair added...

This design offers way less surface area to side winds, and more easily decouples air attachment to the upper body, by sitting up of all things, when strong side winds happen.

Yes, frontal coverage is less with this design, but decidedly safer for you.

I'm not trying to burst your enthusiasm, but simply keeping you alive to ride for many more years. Applying the wisdom of those that have come before us, certainly helps as well, as there are many lessens to gained by reading these old articles.

Jim.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike-1.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	5036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike-2.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	5037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike-3.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	5038  

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 12-18-2009 at 01:51 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3-Wheeler For This Useful Post:
Christ (12-18-2009), TEiN (12-26-2009), thatguitarguy (12-18-2009), theycallmeebryan (12-18-2009)