View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #44 (permalink)
theycallmeebryan
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
Thanks for that post Jim. I appreciate the constructive criticism, thats the whole point of this thread! I'd like to get most of the guess work out of the way before i start getting hands on with the project.

The user "Cd" here had mentioned trying to use window screens on the sides as a way to buffet some of the side winds. The idea is that a screen may be solid enough where air will flow across it, yet porous enough that side winds penetrate through.

One of my goals with this project is to increase protection from the outside elements. Also, in my main thread i had talked about back pain i was getting while sitting in a crouched position for extended trips. I want to try to avoid having to crouch down, and in doing so i was still able to maintain over 90mpg with the bike, even given the increased frontal area and the addition of a taller windscreen.

At bare minimum i would say that ill still have a front fairing and a rear tail, but perhaps have a gap between the two, and figure out a way to trick the airflow into thinking there's a solid surface there and to stay attached. I've tried to test a few different designs using flowillustrator, but everything i have tried produces a lot of turbulence between the two fairings.

Can anyone provide information on aerodynamically "jumping" air from one object to another across a gap?

If you have to use your brakes, you are driving too fast!

My 101.5 MPG 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Crude Oil Price Today

Last edited by theycallmeebryan; 12-18-2009 at 02:50 PM..