View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #52 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeebryan View Post
One of my goals with this project is to increase protection from the outside elements. Also, in my main thread i had talked about back pain i was getting while sitting in a crouched position for extended trips.
Hi Brian,

I do remember you mentioning your back pain in another post. I guess I have been lucky in that regard as my back feels good after commuting all the way to work hunched over to increase the mileage (50 minutes).

Anyway how about something that could hopefully help your back out?

Actually there is allot going on with this design...

On the plus side you get a better seating position, good back support, lower center of gravity and lower CdA.

The minus side you would have to permanently modify your bike by altering the frame and such. You may not be up for such a radical modification.

My bike has enough miles on it, that I would not hesitate to try something like the Alligator, but this may not be for everyone.

I have often thought of adding a third wheel so I don't have to put my feet down at a stop.

Imagine how wild you could go with the aerodynamics with three wheels on the road? You could almost be fully enclosed, and if you have enough weight on the outside wheel, the wind will not flip you, but simply cause some side slippage of the tires. Just make sure you center of pressure is behind the center of gravity and the steering will self align.

If I were doing a motorcycle with two wheels in line with a side hack, this would be my starting point. Keep the seat as low as you can, and still see over the triple clamps for good forward visibility.

By the way, the side hack would be nothing more than a platform that the outside wheel attaches to. The whole framework could be aero in shape, and very sleek. Maybe point the airfoil towards the ground slightly for a small amount of downforce on windy days.

Craig Vetter should try something like this. He can still get his "four bags of groceries" in the tail section behind the rear tire.

Jim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alligator.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	5039  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3-Wheeler For This Useful Post:
Cd (12-19-2009), Christ (12-19-2009)