View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #277 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
With temps rapidly dropping I figured I should get motivated to use my EBH as it has been installed since August and I've only used it a few times. I'm currently in the 53-54 mpg range (not using the EBH) with temps ranging from 5-35 degrees so I could use a boost in mpg with the help of my EBH.

Two nights ago I plugged in for 4 hours at work...28 degrees at plug in (20 degrees with wind chill)...28 degrees at unplug (14 degrees with wind chill).

On startup my engine temp was 90 degrees and I was able to get 40 mpg during my first 5 minutes of operation. Comparatively, in similar temps the next day without using the EBH my engine temp was 30 degrees and I only got 25 mpg during my first 5 minutes of operation.

Hopefully this motivates me to use my EBH more. I can only plug the car in while outside at work and it's a painful process (when it's freezing outside) to get the cord out of my trunk, plug it into an outlet on the second floor of my work building, drop the cord out the window and down the side of the building, run it over to my car and plug into the EBH. I'm going to start recording EBH uses in my fuel logs to motivate myself to use it.