View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
FLOW-IMAGES ( brain food - various wind tunnel, tuft testing, smoke trace images)

I'll start the text portion of this thread and then hopefully,Al can help get all the images up.
Night before last I got the slide digitizer going and captured some images,then I pulled the SD card,stuck it in the camera and shot for three hours this morning,photographing photographs.
It's just a hogde-podge of images,some hydrodynamic,most aerodynamic.
Sources are listed in my seminars.
Some shots are two-dimensional flow from FLUIDs,most three-dimensional,done in a water or wind tunnel.
You'll see the "golf-ball" phenomena,with water and smoke as boundary layer transitions.
You'll see some good separation images as with the wing going into stall.
Many of the cars will display flows which do not appear to lay close to the body surface,indicating separated flow,and an underlying region of vorticity.
The Volkswagen AG shots will show Hucho's Optimization of details to achieve attached flow with subtle softening of leading edges.
Some of the wake shots will help to visualize the wake drag.
Three of Dr. Kamm's cars are shown.I believe the light shaded car with tufts to be the K-5 car which achieved Cd0.23.The color photograph is of K-3 from Landsberg Castle,the only surviving car of Kamm's five.
The EV-1 was of special interest.I have only the one image which I interpret to display clearly separated flow at the rear.
If we can get the images up,and anyone has question for when I return,Try and isolate the particular image from the rest so we can single it out for discussion.
Also,you might want to compare some of the images to MetroMPG's Permanent Metro Kammback or the Aerodynamic Streamlining Template to see if there is any trend with the cars with fully attached flow.
This will be my last post for maybe 3-weeks as I work to pull the trailer together and test her.Happy holidays!