View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
mcrews
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Turtle Spreading the word...one car at a time...

In 30 days, Jan 20, 2010, I will be driving to Dallas Texas from Sacramento California. I will be in Texas for 10 days and then will drive home. I have made this trip 8 times in the last 3 years. Twice in a 1999 Jag Vaden Plas and 6 times in the 02 Infiniti Q45. both cars got better that 26mpg just by adjusting the nut behind the wheel.

I stubbled on this site and instantly realized I could improve my mileage even further.
I have done the following on the 02 infiniti Q45:
255x45x18 (stock is 245x45x18)
run 44 psi on the road.
x-pipe on exhaust, removed rear muffler (there are already two mid mufflers)
Grille block
full underbelly pan
ordered scan gauge II
I have bought 2 rolls of gaffer tape to seal all exposed seams
I plan on weighing the car before I go and trying to remove any unessecary stuff. (But I'm not going to gut it.)
I would love to do a clear wheel cover for the front. I am thinking about a clear rear wheel fender cover.

My goal is to get 31-33mpg over the 1800 miles over 4 days and average 60 mph. EPA is 23mpg. 30mpg would be 30% over epa and 33mpg over 40%. I want to be able to 'seem' and 'drive' like a semi-normal driver and achieve exceptional mileage. I do coast. ( if I can get 35mpg I'd be extatic)

I realize that to some of you 33 is not a big deal. But for a large 4 door flagship I think that it could really make a statement.

The car has a 2.76 rear end ratio, 4.5liter V8, rated 340hp. it' turning about 1800 rpms at 60mph. and weighs 3801lbs

I would welcome any input on what else I can do in the next 30 days to maximize every possible advantage.

I run quaker state 5w-30 oil. THe V8 likes a little oil with it's gas but I would concider synth or 0-30 if someone can make a recommendation.

The ecu trains itslef to the driver's style so the week before my trip, I'll unhook the battery and reset the ecu. I wont do ANY hard accecleration or WOT so the ecu is set at an economy mod.

PS
(I WONT DO TURNDOWNS FRANK LEE, madisonMPG & Christ)

Also, I would like to catch dinner with anyone in LA, Pheonix and an unnamed 3 city and of course the Dallas area. We might be able to generate some media. I'm thinking about some of the weekend car talk shows on the radio.
I plan on having a poster size sign that explains hypemiling / mpg etc.
I have also thought of posting a sign on the rear passanger windows that says something like :"I got_____mpg w/ the a/c on yesterday!
or "you coulda had a V-8" (if you drove right!)
something catchy.

Thanks in advance for any help!