View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jammer
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Question Best Time to Change the Oil in a Newer Model Car?

Hi gang.

Tonight I got a real interesting email about a comment I had made about making oil changes in cars like my 2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE. I had just got used to changing oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles, and I was itching to get my break-in oil out of my new engine when I noticed my computer on the dash board telling me my oil was like 55% used/good (Not sure if that is 55% good, or 55% bad!) - So I got out the manual, something like most other men I HATE to do, but I had to find the answer. Sure enough Chevy tells me that in the newer design of engines that is is not necessary to change oil as few as 3,000 to 5,000 miles, even when brand new. Instead it said the computer would calculate how you drive and the conditions of everything BUT the actual oil condition! - In order to estimate the ideal time to change the oil.

A member here emailed me about a study done by a popular import car company which concluded 50% of all damage to an engine happens within the first 10,000 miles due to all of the metal fragments as the engine is broken in, building up and rubbing/damaging other engine parts. I gather the study leaned to a more old school oil change of 500-3,000 5,000 miles etc for a spanking brand new engine.

So who is right? Because Chevy lead me to believe one thing, and I was broke, I waited until I had a little more than 6,000 miles before I had the oil changed and a lube job (I love saying "lube job" - fire, fire...he he..).

I will share this: Ever since I bought my 09 Cobalt XFE, which is paid off by the money I got from the time my brakes failed me in my pickup truck (yeah, now my rates are real nice, and GEICO has yet to pop up with a wad of cash near me!!) I'm happy to own a car outright new and hope to enjoy a longer time of no repairs needed- cuz I suck at turning wrenches anyway. So, what does GM do? GM has tried to sell me everything under the sun after the sale!!! Do I want to pay $3,00 for XM radio (at least they do lower the price over time)? If I have On Star for FREE for a year, why the heck do they bother me after one month to get me to pay for another year?

And if On Star has a MICROPHONE inside my car (Can you say "room is bugged"?) and can track my speed and location at all times, why the heck would I want to fork over my CAR INSURANCE POLICY #?? to these same good heated people? They keep bugging me for that info! "Hello, AAA, one of your customers is going 95 MPH in a 70 zone currently, as per our agreement we are alerting you. Also our car diagnostic has detected the IF Frequency of a radar detector in use." - Car Insurance Rates Triple! (On Star could NOT even unlock my parents doors in their Cadillac after trying 3 times, and they were not even in the mountains near me! So give up the idea of crashing in the mountains and On Star calling for help, you will be lucky if somebody drives by and sees some smoke!) And the one that TOPS MY LIST IS CHEVY'S EFFORT TO SELL ME THEIR 100,000 MILE EXTENDED WARRANTY FOR ABOUT $750!!!! - GM HAD BETTER BE MAKING CARS TO LAST 100,000 MILES OR THEY ARE DEAD MEAT IN THE MARKET PLACE!! ARGH!!!!!!

So I have to wonder if GM/Chevy could profit somehow by leading customers on to believe we can drive a brand new car 20,000 miles (based on my computer!) before the first oil change! It seems to me the engine would most likely have to be damaged somewhat by tiny metal fragments, as another good member here emailed me about found in the conclusion of a study.

Opinions on when to change oil in a newer model car?

Thanks.

Support American
Workers!

Last edited by Jammer; 12-19-2009 at 11:47 PM..