View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Allch Chcar
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I pretty much only use my V8 F150 for hauling/towing and it averages 17- oftentimes on E85! If that dinky truck dips under, say, 22, they're doing something wrong.
All V6 compact trucks get worse MPG than fullsize. Their aero is even worse and they're usually geared shorter due to their low power. But they come factory equipped with economy/tow cams . With modding and driver technique they could do better.

I tell people if they lose more than 30% mileage from E85 summer blend they have a problem and it's not the fuel. E85 is just a joke to many people anyway just for the drop in range per gallon. By mixing it with gasoline it's more poisonous then separated and it doesn't eliminate as much oil usage as it could. I really feel strongly that if they used an E95 mixture with some additives and the denaturant they'd really open up a better alternative fuel market. E95 can be run in Compressed Ignition and Spark Ignition vehicles designed for it, at least Scania can in their bus engines. 15MPG is the same fuel efficiency on Ethanol as 20MPG on Gasoline. But with all the blends it just gets crazy confusing for people . Here in Kentucky the mixture changes every season.

Ethanol engines can easily get the same or better mileage as Gasoline engines but they're not likely to become common place until variable compression engines or turbochargers become more production based. I almost think that until DIY's conversions to ethanol become mainstream we're not going to see any progress with the Ethanol industry or market. It doesn't help that most people still believe Ethanol is made from food crop, although I suppose calling it "animal food" would only be marginally better until people start realizing grass is better for cattle. Maybe if we can get PETA to run around yelling "you're giving them cancer!" that might help.