View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #57 (permalink)
Jammer
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
I've had my Jeep out offroading a bunch, which in itself isn't bad. Its nice to get away from people.

My frustration is that now its winter, I expected an MPG drop. What I DIDN'T expect was the almost 4MPG drop. And I haven't significantly altered my driving habits, other than slowing down a bit when its slick. I understand the fuel formulations change and that warmer air is better. And I didn't add that much weight with my extra winter carry stuff.

During one offroad trip I did have the vacuum line come off the MAP sensor, but when my CEL came on I did the key cycle check for codes, and it showed the MAP, sure enough replaced the line with a new longer (2" longer to allow for movement) hose.

MAYBE, I need to reset the computer. I am going to do an upper grill block fro the winter and see what I can get away with (Jeeps overheat WAYYYY too easy)...
4??? - Try NINE!

I'm looking at almost a drop of NEARLY NINE MPG, and thats after raising my tire pressure and having my break-in oil changed at around 6,000 miles, and rotating my tires to promote even tread wear. Nevertheless to keep my battery in a condition to start on these colder days I can not run in EOC as much- at least not with the engine turned OFF, I mostly have to cruise in neutral with the engine in idle, and I use the engine cut-off for de-acceleration over 2,000 RPM going down steep mountains. I want to hit the engineer that thought it was a great idea to stick the battery in the rear below the false trunk compartment with the spare tire. This way the battery stays COLD doing charging/driving. I had an all time average of 45.7 MPG (I bought the car new outright with an insurance settlement after a wreck) - Now I reset to see how good I can get my MPG per tank, like other members here do, and I'm fighting to get to 38, it's mostly 37 and a fraction. I do not think my battery is charging as easily as it did during the summer warm temps, and now in seeing it is not located beside a warm engine it takes much more running the engine to get enough of a charge in the battery to get it to start the next cold morning. I'm thinking of insulating the battery, anybody got a simple plan to do this? Can I duct tape home insulation around and underneath the battery?

I realize the oil companies change the way they formulate gasoline based on what the average expected temps are expected to be. I keep wondering if somehow I'm buying "Summer Gasoline" at Christmas time?

All I know is my MPG dropped like a rock as soon as the outside temps dipped below 50 degrees, and the colder they get the greater the chance I need a jump start- on a NEW car!

Support American
Workers!

Last edited by Jammer; 12-20-2009 at 11:47 PM..