View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 01:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
mcrews
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
maybe you need to take a breath......

I am sorry if you have misread my intention and comments...I can't speak for the other posters

The 'who cares...." has to do with your ranting.
Of course we care about your oil change but let's stay focused and quit casting you 'corp one world order' on us also.
Also, maybe the posts require some thought process and conclusions that only you can come to? If you stay focused on the "THEM" and the computer you miss the facts.
1. FACT: as the Acura lab sheet showed, the majority of wear occures in the very early stages of an engines life. given 2 equal cars, your cobalt for example, if car A changes the oil 3 times in 10k and then follows the computer and car B only follows the computer, car B will have more wear at 20k than car A.
2. The computer is not (IMO) programmed for the breakin period as one set of perameters and then the life of the car for the second. I would bet that the computer is only programmed to measure viscosity....i don't know.
3. I have only had 2 new cars and I am 53 yrs old (uot of 17 cars). you totally misunderstood the comment. The point was that I would love to have a new car were i can make a difference in the wear over the next 200,000 miles . I just bought my daughter a new Kia Sportage. I changed to oil 3 times in the first 3k miles. I didn't give a hoot what the manual said.
4 finally, I send a simple 7 line email concerning wear and I get 50 line reply that is completely off track. So I think to myself, wow, I need to give him some facts to digest so he can make up his own mind.... If you felt disd the maybe over a 150 lines of text brought it on?
5. Maybe, just maybe, if you had spent 30 minutes googling 'initial engine wear' (like i did to HELP you)you would have answered your own question. I even found one link to an invention that does what I THINK (but not sure) your onboard computer does. But hey, I didn't post everything I found about YOUR question.
6. If it was my car, I'd do it.

Merry Christmas,

mcrews