View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 01:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jammer
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
maybe you need to take a breath......

I am sorry if you have misread my intention and comments...I can't speak for the other posters

The 'who cares...." has to do with your ranting.
Of course we care about your oil change but let's stay focused and quit casting you 'corp one world order' on us also.
Also, maybe the posts require some thought process and conclusions that only you can come to? If you stay focused on the "THEM" and the computer you miss the facts.
1. FACT: as the Acura lab sheet showed, the majority of wear occures in the very early stages of an engines life. given 2 equal cars, your cobalt for example, if car A changes the oil 3 times in 10k and then follows the computer and car B only follows the computer, car B will have more wear at 20k than car A.
2. The computer is not (IMO) programmed for the breakin period as one set of perameters and then the life of the car for the second. I would bet that the computer is only programmed to measure viscosity....i don't know.
3. I have only had 2 new cars and I am 53 yrs old (uot of 17 cars). you totally misunderstood the comment. The point was that I would love to have a new car were i can make a difference in the wear over the next 200,000 miles . I just bought my daughter a new Kia Sportage. I changed to oil 3 times in the first 3k miles. I didn't give a hoot what the manual said.
4 finally, I send a simple 7 line email concerning wear and I get 50 line reply that is completely off track. So I think to myself, wow, I need to give him some facts to digest so he can make up his own mind.... If you felt disd the maybe over a 150 lines of text brought it on?
5. Maybe, just maybe, if you had spent 30 minutes googling 'initial engine wear' (like i did to HELP you)you would have answered your own question. I even found one link to an invention that does what I THINK (but not sure) your onboard computer does. But hey, I didn't post everything I found about YOUR question.
6. If it was my car, I'd do it.

Merry Christmas,

mcrews
OK, thanks for breaking it down.

Still, after GM going bankrupt and all of that mess, I keep wonder why they would put a computer on the dash that tells a new owner to wait for so many miles before changing the oil? I'm trying to understand what possible motive GM/Chevy would have for that, and all I can come up with is, indeed, it may cause major engine defect or at least a serious problem many miles down the road. Thats all I can figure, and that is what lead me to the off topic stuff- I was pointing to all of the stuff they are doing to make after market sales, and I simply do not have the money for anything else, not even satellite-radio. GM is hitting me up for XM Radio, which expired after 3 months, but their price is still too high for my needs, XM Radio has drove me crazy as an ape because they never let up. And then Chevy has the nerve to try and sell me a 100,000 mile warranty where I'm sure most people on this site feels that a new car which is properly maintain should be able to make it past 100,000 miles easily without major issues. And they wanted upward near $1000 for that too!! (I think it was over $750)

From what I can gather, I am unaware of any other brand of car using a computer to calculate the time to change the oil- Am I wrong here? Do other brands of cars also have computers calculate when your SUPPOSED to change oil? What gets me is that the computer does not even look or examine the oil, according to a friend that changes oil everyday for a living, GM cars are looking at the condition of filters, how many times the ignition switch is used (and driving in EOC my ignition switch is used far more often than normal, yet my first oil changed may not be due until after 20,000 the way it's going). To my mind, without even quoting the reports, it makes little sense. How can a car company say 3,000 to change break-in oil one year, and the very next year say it's overkill and to do what the computer says- which is a large difference! In fact, upon my last oil change the guys did not even reset my oil gauge, I'm not even sure if they know how, I suspect it is a GM Dealer's secret for now. So I will be curious how many miles I get too, and how many oil changes I really have done, before the computer tells me to change the oil.

You know how computers are, it's difficult to tell sometimes what mood or context a messenger wishes their words to be taken in. It's easy to misunderstand online, so I see no sense in carry things on further at this time. Based on the last post my posts did not make the points I was striving for... so I'm no longer going to bother trying to explain my POV much more.

I tend to be long-winded, it's my personality.

I need to read those reports too.

Merry Christmas to everyone on the site.

Me

Thanks.

Support American
Workers!