View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Funny
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
The engine in my 2002 Corolla was shot at 46,000 miles (it had a faulty oil pump, read the rest of the story in my profile sometime) and I had a shortblock done.
I wanted the "new" engine to last, so I changed the oil at 200 miles, 1,000 miles, 2,500 miles and 5,500 miles, and changed the oil myself (I always do). The oil for the first change (200 miles) was 25% Marvel Mystery Oil, because of the lapping agents (wear inducing), I wanted to smooth out the engine as soon as possible and keep it that way. At 1,000, 2,500, and 5,500, it was 100% dyno oil. At 10,000 miles on the new engine (56,000 on the ODO), I changed to full synthetic, and now change the oil every 10-20K. The engine runs like a top, and has over 100K miles on it now (148,XXX on the ODO).
I don't change the filter in the middle of the oil changes, or anything strange (I think it's strange anyway) like that, but I use Castrol Syntec 5-w20, and a Fram (OMG, don't flame me and get me started) Xtended Guard 10,000 mile filter (the company I work for makes the filter paper in it, I helped design it, so I know what it is capable of) and just drive easy. I don't think the car is going to last as long as this engine, judging from the other repairs I have made to it. So when I buy my next new car, I intend to do the same thing.
Do with the information provided what you may, but don't attack those that try to help you when they ask you a question on a public forum, even if they contacted you in private. The individual usually wants to bring an item that they deem important into light so it may be discussed with other enthusiasts and get conversations started/continued. I'm sure there was no harm intended in the act, so let's all just get along.