View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
4more
EcoModding Lurker

YUK TRUCK - '93 GMC YUKON GT
hello all more of a lurker but thought i post on this on and i think "funny" pretty much nailed it.
i used to work for a GM dealer as a tech we had a customer than delievered trailers he ran one ton trucks pulling trailers delievering cars,van.smaller trailes ect. he used gas and deisel engines and of course wanted to get the most life,power and economy he could.
i believe it was a 02 with a duramax that has such a oil life monitor, which does actually monitor driving habits and conditions.but he wasnt sure about it so we took oil samples and different milages, computers says 50% left,25% left 0 % left and sent them to a lab not sure where i wish i could remember but they came back within a % or 2 of the monitor this was using regular oil he would go 7-10,000 this was towing highway miles.
but i would agree on a new engine or new car to change it around the 1000 mile mark and early the first few times then follow the monitor. regular oil changes are cheap but of course we want to save oil and money.i am also a fan of synthetics