View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mifunego
EcoModding Lurker

The Taco - '99 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
90 day: 19.29 mpg (US)
Thanks. Actually what you are looking at on this site are just the few entries I've had the time to enter. If you'd like to see the entire spreadsheet I've kept for the car's fill ups, just click here for a more detailed explanation. A ecomodding guru like yourself should be able to make some more educated conclusions with a bit more of the data.

Of course, I didn't buy the car strictly for high mpg, obviously. I've done a fair amount of autocross and track days in my single life, and as I progressed into family life, I tried to find a car that would balance my kid-transporting and grocery-getting responsibilities along with my inner speed demon. There were few cars available (especially at the price I got this one) that covered as many of the bases as the speed3. I was very close to buying the Mini Clubman S, but I would have sacrificed space, about 90 hp, and maybe another $8K, but then my gas mileage would have been considerably better. Maybe next car. I don't expect to break any hypermiler records with the Mazda, but I'm sure I can improve on what I've been getting.

And yes, the car has an average and instant mileage display. Inconsistent and inaccurate. I only calculate mpg by filliing up the tank and dividing the number of gallons into the miles traveled since last fill up. Still, I guess it provides some value by showing a relative change in mpg instantaneously.

Last edited by Mifunego; 12-22-2009 at 10:41 PM..