View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #150 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
OK, engineers. I need a structural analysis of our temporary bridge. Or at least a point in the right direction for load tables for 5" x 3" x 0.2" wall welded steel tube.
"Temporary" is how long? What is the expected worst case load? What are the footings on each end?

If these four spars are with the 5" vertical, I would agree with your Dad. But I would recommend a cap on each end to keep them from 'crushing' and losing the web strength. You would have ~0.8", 5" spars with a combined, 12", 0.2" cap. As long as the footers share the load across all four spars, it should be a pretty strong structure ... if you can keep it fairly rust free. I'll try to hack out some numbers later this evening. Do you know the steel grade?

Quote:
. . . I will add more strength if needed. There are some serious I-beams also available if we need them and some trusses for the sides.
Trusses? Engineers love trusses! Just keep them out of flowing water.
Quote:
. . . Basic parameters are 19 foot span and two beams per wheel track, so 4 in total.. My father thinks they will be fine but I'm not as "seat of the pants" as he is.
If I understand correctly, the last bridge failed due to 'high water?' I would probably want to see if something can be done to 'deepen' the channel and/or raise the footings. Water being ~800 times denser than air, it is really hard to build a water proof, stationary structure.

I don't know much about Canadian government structure but is there a 'county engineer' or 'buildings department' that might be able to render an opinion? Whoever handles bridge and road safety in your area might be able to render an opinion or suggest someone to see about the bridge.

Bob Wilson