View Single Post
Old 12-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #65 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hf View Post
So everything will bolt up with the dx knuckles? What about si? basically I'll need knuckles, calipers and pads for both sides. I have lower and upper ball joints and tie rod ends for the hf... will these be different for the larger setup?
DX/Si knuckles are the same, for all intents and purposes. If you use either, you'll also need to use the axles from the same type, HF axles are smaller.

If you want to retain the use of HF axles, which are smaller and lighter, you may still be able to use the DX brakes, but you will need rotor, caliper and bracket for each side from a DX/Si.

EX knuckles are very attractive options if you intend to use bigger brakes, the EX of the 4th gen has the largest brakes, rear discs, and a bigger master cylinder than any other 4th gen/2nd gen CRX model.

I'd have to go back and look through my brakes list to find all the swappable parts that you can use from different vehicles to build a hybrid brake system, but if you really wanted, you could have like 13" front brakes, 11.5" rear brakes, and a set of dual pot front and rear calipers, all with basically bolt-on components.

The ball joints and tie rods are spec'd from 84-like 99, I believe. They're all the same for that generation, though.