View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #25 (permalink)
mrbigh
AC-DC enthusiast

Dual-PWR PHEV - '04 Toyota Prius

Kopper - '79 Bradley Bradley GT-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
It sounds to me like a lot of people are having balancing issues. It sounds as though cell quality is really an issue. This even more so reinforces the need for individual balancer monitoring for each cell, not two cells in parallel.
What are your thoughts on this mrbigh?
As you found, balancing on this type of LiFePO4 batteries is a PITA.
Again, I will recommend you to safely discharge these to a safe level of about 2.55 VDC to a dump load, single cells or by pairs, after completion of this process put them in the charger and let the balancers do their thing until all of them are equally charged, re-start the discharge cycle again on the dump load by pairs or single cells.
Low voltage discharge is the most important factor for a healthy battery pack and will prevent further major problems down the road.

NOTE
The Prius NiMH additional batteries I installed (168 in total) went through the same process 5 consecutive times before I configured the battery assemblies (6), and all of them went through a battery analyzer paired to a computer for graphing representation.
- - - - - - - - - - -
The dump load I use since the las 4 years is an electrical water heater, 220v element rod, installed in the cover of a 5 gallons plastic container filled with water that can be recycled.
It is a safe and inexpensive way to do things like this while the voltages that you will handle do not exceed 40 VDC.
. . . . . . . .CALCars # 27. . . . . . . . . . ..on the works now !!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . ........