View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrbrc View Post
LOL!
Reminds me of my younger days, only car was a Maverick w/302. Water pump went out in February. A -20* February. The parking lot of the apartment building was the work area. Good thing they didn't make parts out of aluminum back then! As it was, I had to break out the propane torch to warm up a couple of water pump bolts whose heads snapped off! Now, I just make sure I have extra cars! BTW, it wouldn't be driveway work. The friend's extra cars are out in a pasture. BRRRRR!!!!!!!!
Your story brings back memories of the a similar situation that happened in the 1970's when I was in college. It was my very first car, a 1963 Cadillac convertible (a jalopy that was given to me by a well-off relative). One January morning, about 15 degrees, I went to start the car and as soon as it started... WHAM!!! - something exploded and went right through the hood of the car! The 'something' was the water pump. Back in the bad old days fans didn't even have a clutch - they were rigid mounted and belt driven. One blade of the steel fan literally sliced right through the hood! Thank God the car wasn't in motion or with the hood open when it happened. And, as with your story, I froze my fingers replacing the water pump and fan in sub-freezing weather.

They don't make 'em like they used to...