View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
99metro
Master EcoModder

Wildfire - '96 Ford Bronco XL
90 day: 14.88 mpg (US)

Blackford - '96 Ford Bronco XLT
90 day: 20.26 mpg (US)

Y2k - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 73.98 mpg (US)

Redford V10 - '01 Ford F250 Lariat
90 day: 15.64 mpg (US)

FireFly - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 69.43 mpg (US)

LittleRed - '00 Honda Insight
Apples to Oranges.

I'm driving my 2003 F250 6.0 diesel/Auto while I fix up my 99 Chevy Metro. You are doing good with your techniques. Make sure you neutral coast down to 25 mph or below approaching stop signs. I found that whether I'm in OD at 52 mph or out of OD at 43 mph, I still get low/mid 20's mpg. Even though you are in NC, you might want to plug it in for a couple hours before heading out for the day. That way you can start it and just drive off. The first few miles is usually your worst mpg due to the cold engine. I had best fuel economy on my "EXTREME" (highest) program on my old F250 and then use light throttle. Do they make a 200+ degree thermostat for the Cummins? That would help keep combustion temps high for better efficiency. If you have a Boost and EGT gauges, try keeping boost to 2 - 3 PSI or less and your EGT as low as possible on acceleration. I was using my steady-state 50 mph EGT temp as my MAX when accelerating. I'm not going to suggest gutting the kitty, because that could be considered violating EPA emission laws and such. Maybe a "high flow" cat converter instead? I wouldn't worry too much about tire pressure but do try to keep them at the factory pressures - these heavy 3/4 tons neutral coast forever it seems. Over-inflating the tires will just wear them down faster and I don't think they will pay for themselves in increased fuel economy.

I'm outta breath now and my fingers are hurting!