View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 02:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
bensenvill
EcoModding Lurker

for any amount of reasonable cost, lead acid really is the only option... for someone who's build a number of EVs, I can say the technical hurdles are probably not worth it unless you have an engineering degree and are a master of fabrication (not to mention access to some rather expensive fab equipment), and WAYYY too much free time.... if you have to outsource any work, its probably not worth your investment. Not to mention the number of miles you would have to cover to get any form of a ROI.

But you asked specifically about batteries. like I said, lead acid really is the only home brew choice thats anywhere near financially viable, and it really doesn't matter what you use but you want to evaluate the amp-hours vs the weight (and factor in cost) to make your decision.

And on the topic of weight, your going to be adding alot of it if you want more than a few miles of range... dont overlook what you'll need to beef up suspension and structurally to handle it.

And keep in mind what car you are integrating into. Simple rule is if the car is carbonated, your are going to have an infinitely easier time with the retro-fit. After that the cars start getting infinitely more complex. 2000 was about when cars got overly bloated with wires and manufactures started simplifying with bus protocols.... at that point you really need a masters in computer engineering and insider knowledge to get the levels of integration you want. I spent about 2000 hours trying to take complete ownership of the wiring in my newish car, and its time I wish I could get back.