View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lazarus
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
I got my scan gauge, did a partial grill block, and drove by the scangauge increasing speed slowly, staying under 65 mph most of the time, coasting some ,drafting some, after 2 tanks thru my 2002 echo sedan using the gauge. i am dissaponted by my results. only 1-2 mpg more, i was hoping to get up where some of you guys are, i went from 44mpg to 46 one tank and 45 the next,, and i get 42-44 driving with no thoughts for milage. my commute is 105 miles a day to work and back 70% 45mph zone 20% 55-65 mph zone, 10% 25-35 mph slight traffic ,about 10 traffic lights. What am i not getting here,(i tried hard to keep the mpg up high on the scangauge),how do i get over 50 mpg? or can i in this toyota echo 5 speed, no ac no power steering.
My guess is that your route is already optimized. 105 miles a day with a majority of it at 45 mph is a good sweet spot. That's not to say you can't do better. Concentrate on techniques with the other 30%. Timing the lights, reading the lay of the land (uphill/downhill) and being at the right speed for the 25-30 mph section.

I've found that the posted speed limits have you at a terrible rpm range for good FE. Plus or minus 5 mph can make a big difference.

Most of all just keep at it. It takes time to figure it all out. Small will eventually turn into big numbers.