View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
thatguitarguy
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post

Most of all just keep at it. It takes time to figure it all out. Small will eventually turn into big numbers.
Agreed. It's not alchemy, but there is a lot of art as well as science in maximizing F/E.

I don't EOC, but I still get good F/E for my vehicle. "Staying under 65 mph most of the time", might not be enough. Try for all of the time. I found this to be a really big part of my overall F/E. People really underestimate how much fuel is used above 60 mph, and also creeping around in parking lots, and stopping and starting in traffic. If you have to use your brake in traffic, you're probably going too fast. Let the other cars accelerate past you and then wait at the light, and as you coast up behind them and keep going without hitting your brake or jamming on the accelerator, most times you find it's the same cars at every light. They're getting horrible F/E, and not making any faster progress than you are. This is a lot of where the artistry comes in.

Don't make any final conclusions after 2 tanks. You can't do 10 push-ups a day for a week and expect to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger.