View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #63 (permalink)
rgathright
EcoModding Apprentice

Black Beauty - '09 Honda Accord EX-L
90 day: 27.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Well, I spoke with Eric yesterday and gained some insight into the Enginer's kit.

I also took apart the charger last night and turned the shutoff voltage up. It was charging until I went to bed. The pack voltage was around 55.4 when I unplugged it. I got no alarms the entire evening (yay). The largest difference in voltage my balancers showed was .09V, but no cells shot up above about 3.55V. This morning I have it back on the charger and it is up to 55.8 now. Still no alarms. I don't know where the charger will stop charging, so I am being conservative in dialing up the shut off voltage.
No, No, No!

Unacceptable. I have a battery charger in my boat and RV that tells me digitally when it will stop charging and indicates the charge mode. Yet, you with several state of the art fragile batteries have to depend on vodoo to identify when the charge state is close to done. NO WAY!

Now, you should install an AC amp meter on the feed to the charger so you can see how many amps you are pulling. The charger should be slowing down and as you become more familiar with it, you can start to see based on wattage pull, how full the batteries are.

I use a Kill A Watt P4400 to monitor my battery charger consumption and find it extremely helpful in identifying this same situation. However, I also have an integrated amp meter on the DC side as well.