View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #2816 (permalink)
Greg Fordyce
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by regmeister View Post
Greg Fordyce posted a link to a BMS project.

It has a nice LCD implementation. I dunno if they're using a compatible microprocessor or not.

here's a utube
I am working on adapting the bms software to interface to the controller. The bms has it's own current sensor, so to keep things simple when I get a low cell I want the bms to adjust the max battery current value in the controller to a level that prevents the low cell warning. For example, if I get a warning at 200 amps, then set the max battery current to 180 amps. If 180 amps sets the warning then lower to 160 amps, etc. The bms will keep reducing all the way to 1 amp. Setting max battery amps to 0 disables the limit, so 1 amp is as low as we can go, and we won't be going very fast at 1 amp!

I can send data from the bms at up to 9600baud 8-N-1, but what would I need to send, say to set the limit at 200 amps? I don't need to read anything from the controller since the bms can measure current, just need to send it commands.

btw, the bms project started with a lcd display, but we are now using a SV2000 serial to video chip. This neat little chip takes serial data and displays it on a normal video display. You can find cheap 3.5 inch lcd displays on ebay, which is what we are using. The chip gives us a 16x9 character display but is a bit pricey. Recently I found a open source serial to video chip that has higher resolution and is cheaper.
Batsocks - TellyMate

Greg