View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
dwestmodesto
EcoModding Lurker

I usually hang out on the CumminsForum. Without my camper on my 2004 Ram2500 cummins quadcab longbed 4wd I can get between 21-23mpg all stock. I added a diablosport predator. Diablo claims it will give a couple mpg. have only used it on one 800mile trip. I didn't see much change. I could feel the additional power however. I am currently I changing out my 3 1/2" stock exhuast to 4" from edelbrock. I am also swapping later model 4" turbo elbow and downpipe. I am changing out intake by switching to the better flowing airhorn from the 2000-2003 models. I have opened up the stock airbox with 4 inch venting down into the front fender for cool air. Gutting out the tube from the airbox to the turbo also should get me better flow. I am planning on blocking off areas of the grill that are not in the path of the intercooler/oilcooler/airconditioner cooler/radiator to get better airflow over the front of the vehicle. I am also planning on adding 6" to the airdam under the front fender to cut some of the under vehicle turbulence.
Time will tell. Most of the mods will be in be end of January.
JustAnotherDave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
An exhaust and intake is a good starting place. I know more HP isn't the operative words around this site, but I have always seens ~2mpg increase over stock.

The 2 biggest increases I've seen are from a aftermarket torque converter (actually use the power your engine is making, not converting it to heat in the auto trans) and an electric fan.
If you look on DodgeTalk (can I suggest another site?) there are a few people who make a very nice electric fan kit.

Another mod you might try is to block off part of the grill opening. The 02+ Rams have an even more ridiculously large grill opening. If you look at the SRT-10 Rams, the first 6" or so from each side is solid. Unless you're doing some heavy towing, I bet you could block off almost ALL of the grill area!

I am planning on testing this on my next trip to Denver (if I don't buy this 200SX).

If I had more money, I'd make a tonneau cover. One of these days.