View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 03:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

In the same programme ("of practical everyday advice" they put a gallon of fuel into 4-5 supercars to see which one would go the furthest. Can't remember the result of that one.

TG did do a "hypermiling" article or at least economical driving feature on driving from Basel to Blackpool in 3 diesel cars - Polo Bluemotion, Subaru Legacy Diesel and a Jaguar XJ Diesel. All except the Legacy made it and that (IMHO) is because Captain Slow took the wrong route. They were impressed especially at the Jag which Mr Clarkson drove badly (higher speed, A/C on full etc.) because he wanted it to run out about halfway, which was near to his house.

Which leads to my second point. In real day to day driving I have yet to find a Prius owner here who can match the official MPG figures. OK they don't hypermile. At the same time owners of Diesels can regularly beat the official figures with little effort. Same true of road tests, quite a few of them comment that it doesn't match up too. A little like that Civic hybrid case that was here a few days ago.

I think my next eco car will not feature Hybrid tech but will remain an oil burner, probably a 1.4 ish.