View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

The experience of detailed monitoring seems to be one full of crests and valleys IMHO. I am still thinking of an SG to monitor other items (mainly temps) but I will use the built in MPG monitor for, well, MPG. Its hard to gauge how well I may be doing. Last tank (I haven't driven much for the last month or so) is a case in point.

1st half of the tank I hypermiled (as much as you can on country roads in hills) - speed down to under 60, experimented with strong vs gentle hill climbing, glided (engine on, I may ask a question about this in a moment) where possible, no overtaking and so on. After returning (200 miles) my tank showed about 1/3 used - normally it would be 1/2 by this point so I knew I was doing well, but the built-in average MPG for the tank only showed 45 (imp).

2nd half of the tank involved 85+ (disclaimer - not true officer) on the M6 down south to do the in-laws. So it drained the rest of the tank in 230 miles - which I thought was OK as my tanks normally last about 400. (200 + 230 > 400). But my average MPG for the second half of the tank still said 45. Hmmm.

When I filled it was better, > 50.

Still Mrs A was impressed with the fact my tank had lasted longer (hey baby ;-) ) but not convinced of the overall benefits.

As for blending I think Diesel gets some additional anti-waxing stuff over winter which may affect mileage. I've noticed some stations offer a "better" (aka more expensive) version so once I drain this tank down to the beeper I may experiment with a tank of the premium stuff to work out if that works.

Before this though my tanks showed little improvement so it takes practice and lots of it. The more you know the route that helps a lot, and where you don't you get to spot patterns in the junctions and hold-ups which can help a lot too.

Keep at it, I want to get my improvement up too.